Dynamic Scales using Timevars?

Hi! I read about var objects, and one thing I really want to do is to have dynamically changing scales within players. So I thought I could just create a Timevar and provide it as a parameter to the player, which sounds simple enough:

p1 >> blip([0,1,2,3], scale=[Scale.minor, Scale.major]) + (0,2,4)

scales = var([Scale.minor, Scale.major])
p1 >> blip([0,1,2,3], scale=scales) + (0,2,4)

But it turns out that’s not supported yet - the player just goes silent.

I didn’t find anything in the docs about this behavior, so I want to know if there is a way to achieve this or if it needs implementation. If possible, I want to avoid setting the default scale - which also does not generate this effect.

Cheers!!

For this you need to use a Pvar (A Pattern TimeVar) and the default scale like so:

Scale.default=Pvar([Scale.major, Scale.minor])

Using the scale as a keyword doesn’t work with a Pvar unfortunately. You can find our more about the Pvar and other vars here.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the reply Ryan, will try that out soon!
That’s unfortunate - I rely heavily on modal interchange, and relying on the chromatic for that kind of defeats the purpose of having a scale system. If there’s any other way to emulate this behavior, please let me know.

I’ve added this behaviour for using Pvar for scales in Players to the GitHub version and will add to the version on pip soon.