For SCVim Users, way to have full language searchable?

I’ve just been getting into using VIM+scvim to try to develop a nice, minimal SC workflow, but one thing is really holding it back from being helpful: Tool tips for the full language. I’m using Arch, with scvim manually installed from its supercollider/git repo on github, and supertab from the Arch repo, but i was wondering if anybody has found a better way to get full autocompletion aside from what’s already been entered into the file I have open?

I dropped scvim in favor of scnvim. It has autocompletion and other features that scvim lacks. You just need scnvim, no tmux involved. I use it for live coding and works wonders.

I’d say “I won’t drop vim for nvim just for one plugin,” but I also wound up installing emacs for Tidal when I wanted something that worked the same on both Windows and Linux, so I’ll see about checking it out.

I actually managed to solve my issue, I generated the tags by running :SCTags in my vim window.

Also the way I have it setup can use a multiplexer, but I prefer to just launch vim, open my file, and then spawn sclang in a new termite window. i3 pushes it where I want to, I can drop the scope where needed, and then just keep the manual open on another workspace and I’m set.

Is there any way scnvim would work in Windows? I’d be interested in trying that out.

1 Like

If I am not mistaken, since scnvim works in a single viewport (no tmux, screen required) the biggest obstacle to work in a Windows environment is overcome. There is currently an (slightly vague) issue open in the scnvim repo (, and David Ganstrom has stated that he is willing to look into out-of-the-box Windows support. That’s an exciting outlook, possibly some helpers/testers might further the cause :wink:

I use Windows and Linux, so I could test in Linux, and compare the functionality, at least in the scope of my limited SC experience.

Necrobumping is usually bad form, but I keep stumbling across my own forum post trying to set up SCNvim. Ironically, I switched all my vimming to Nvim anyway, and by extension SCNvim, which works fine in Windows. Using NVim’s built-in autocomplete (Ctrl-N) works just fine for searching the language.