Indefinite duration

Hi,

No doubt a beginner’s question, but it bothers me a lot: how can you produce an indefinite sound in FoxDot ?

This is an interesting question. I think that there are both beginner and experienced ways to go about making different types of sounds or even pseudo-random sounds.

What do you mean by “indefinite sound?” Do you mean random preset sounds, or a random timbre? Or are you talking about something more ethereal like a sound that is difficult to describe?

Depend on the synth, but with a sus > dur sometimes it works. You can also play with blur and atk (if there is an atk arg in the synthdef).

1 Like

Sorry, I’m not specific enough. I would like to know how we can manage to make sound layers with FoxDot. In supercollider the command:

{SinOsc.ar ([200, 202], 0, 0.3)} .play;

start a sound that will only be interrupted with “ctrl.”, can we get that with FoxDot Syndefs?

You mean drones? Impossible, as far as I know. The clock will always retrigger the sound. It has been my quest until I discover livecoding… Drones are not possible in FoxDot, Tidal, Sonic-Pi…

1 Like

As suggested, it isn’t possible. There are some synths that have an “overlapping” feel that make it sound infinite, such as klank and glass, but it’s essentially single notes event with long sustains and attacks.

1 Like

Basically you are saying, correct me if I am wrong, that you can create the “feel” of a drone, but not an actual drone. Which means, it is not possible to create drones in FoxDot. By the way, I consider FoxDot to be the best live coding environment out there!!!

In essence, yes - and thank you, it means a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like