No sound playing fresh install of FoxDot

I am not sure if I am missing something trivial here. I just installed FoxDot to take it for a stroll but it seems there is something I am missing, or there is some kind of issue with my setup, or the newest version of SC <> FoxDot as I read that since January FD is not actively maintained.

System
MacOS 10.15.1
SuperCollider (SC): 3.11.0

Initial Steps

1. Installed using python3 pretext.
  2. Quarks.install("FoxDot"); // in SC
  3. SC3 Plugins installed, in SC, (maybe irrelevant at this point)*

Reproducing

1. Run in SC:
    FoxDot.start;
Listening for messages from FoxDot 
-> FoxDot
  1. Run in terminal
    python3 -m FoxDot
DEPRECATION WARNING: The system version of Tk is deprecated and may be removed in a future release. Please don't rely on it. Set TK_SILENCE_DEPRECATION=1 to suppress this warning
===================
  1. Running in FoxDot IDE:
    p1 >> pluck()

Expected
Hear the pluck instrument playing.

Error
->

FAILURE IN SERVER /s_new SynthDef not found

Cheers
K.

1 Like

Hmm as I was looking at this I thought it was a completely different problem but having reading this part:

It looks like FoxDot is trying to use the OSC destination “s_new” as a synth instead of the command for starting the synth. It could be that SC v3.11 handles OSC in a different way but that’s really strange. I will download 3.11 and get back to you.

The alternative is that the error is not accurate (unlikely) and synths just haven’t been loaded yet but I’d be surprised if that’s the case

Thanks for this. I can take some look on the implementation in the SC side as I am more familiar with it rather than FoxDot itself.

Just send me some pointers or potential chunks that you think might causing the problem, happy to help.

That might be related to an indirect problem, e.g., if you using proxy holders to play the sounds (as opposed to standard SynthDefs for the sounds engines) then it might be a Jit issue, just a shot in the dark to be frank since I am agnostic about the mechanics.

Just tried it in 3.11 and FoxDot worked fine on Windows. When you open FoxDot do you get a whole bunch on info printed to the SC console similar to this:

Loading SynthDef from C:\Users\Ryan\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\FoxDot\osc\Info.scd

No, just the post window’s responses noted in my previous message.

EDIT: this appears in the terminal after running FoxDot in terminal:

Warning: Could not fetch info from SCLang server. Using defaults...
DEPRECATION WARNING: The system version of Tk is deprecated and may be removed in a future release. Please don't rely on it. Set TK_SILENCE_DEPRECATION=1 to suppress this warning._```

Also, maybe the paths assigned to FoxDot config file to SCLang and server don’t match.
Mine look:
/Applications/SuperCollider/SuperCollider.app/Contents/MacOS/sclang
/Applications/SuperCollider/SuperCollider.app/Contents/MacOS/SuperCollider

Just from the top off my head.

Cheers

I’m not sure what’s going on but I can confirm this isn’t the case: scsynth error messages include the command name. /s_new here is definitely the command, not the SynthDef name.

hjh

Ah you’re right, I was confusing the error messages. Here’s what I see if I boot the FoxDot interface before SuperCollider:

*** ERROR: SynthDef pluck not found

Can you do a couple of things? When you have green numbers in the corner of the SC editor (the server is booted) run FoxDot.reload() in the FoxDot window and try again? If no luck there, then it looks like FoxDot.start is booting the server but not starting the OSCFunc. Can you download this zip file, extract and run the code and see if you get any luck?

1 Like

Hello !!
I have the same exact problem, all seems to lead to those 3 looping errors in SC console as long as you have not run a stop() function.

*** ERROR: SynthDef startSound not found
*** ERROR: SynthDef pluck not found
*** ERROR: SynthDef makeSound not found

Also like he mentioned, after quitting FoxDot the terminal shows the same message as follows:

Warning: Could not fetch info from SCLang server. Using defaults…

While waiting for the email confirmation in here, I tried adding several folders like “./site-packages/FoxDot/osc” to the interpreter include thinking it could resolve the problem but not.

I downloaded the zip file you have provided ^ but it didnt change the situation.

( my SC is already working fine on my windows machine )

Well I just want to get this starting I installed everything right and hello everyone we need help !!
Thank you.

EDIT : running FoxDot.reload() after server boot in the FoxDot window gets the same terminal “Could not fetch” message only it gets it on FoxDot itself.

If you ran the code in the zip file and still get the problem then that makes me think it’s network related, so it could be that you have a firewall blocking traffic on specific ports or that SC is using a different port than expected. When you run FoxDot.start in SC it will say something like:

Listening for messages from FoxDot
-> FoxDot
booting server 'localhost' on address: 127.0.0.1:57110

Can you confirm the address shown on your own machine?

True, this is the exact port.
How can I proceed as I checked all ports I have ever blocked and even deactivated firewall but problem still persists. How can I tell SC to use other port or would you figure out another proficient solution… Thanks !!

ISSUE SOLVED
rebooting was needed but not 100% sure

Also a big thanks to you RYAN for all what you’ve been giving into this wonderful personal project.
GOOO FoxDot!!

That is good news! But also very strange… what OS you using out of interest? It would be great have a reproducible fix for other people having the same issue. Glad it’s working :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah i know right !!!
I hope other people will get the chance to use this incredible program
such a rewarding experience

I am using a windows 7 64 machine :stuck_out_tongue: