Running SuperCollider code in Python IDE

Hey all,

I’m almost finished with my uni project for the year :smile: My automated music generator works great using the FoxDot library. It’s been a dream to work on.

However, I’m looking to communicate from my Python IDE (Spyder) to SC for the purposes of recording and saving a .wav file (which I can do directly in SC). I’ve been reading a lot about OSC but the site with their modules no longer exists. I don’t even know if it’s possible this way. So I found some online git repo GitHub - scztt/qpm at qpm-unit but this only works from the command line.

Is there a simpler way or is it possible to write my record function in my IDE, which is very simply:

s.recorder.recHeaderFormat = "WAV";
s.record(path:"~/control001.wav".standardizePath, duration: 10);

atm in SC?

Apologies if this is an obvious question and I’m missing something.

1 Like

Turns out the command is just:

Server.record() from your Python IDE :roll_eyes: Although, it’s not behaving exactly as expected. You can’t pass the arguments the same way as you do in SC and I’m not sure how to get around this yet. Hopefully this helps someone else out at some point :slight_smile:

Hi! I tried Supriya for the first time yesterday, it’s an interface for SC which intends to be a Python replacement for sclang (while FoxDot is more like a featureful sequencer) if I got this right. I don’t know if there’s a way to manage quarks with it though, but it may be useful. Also, if it could be of any help, there’s Pyo, which is a Python DSP module. It doesn’t have any connection with SC as Pyo is it’s own audio engine, sometimes being regarded as a SC clone of sorts.

1 Like