Upgrades of FoxDot

hey there!

I was on FoxDot in 2018 and I’ve also joined a telegram group about FoxDot recently.

My setup wasn’t updated until now because I stopped using FoxDot in 2019. I’d like to slowly back to it.

On telegram, there they were speaking about a FoxDot unofficial upgrade that has an extended selection of SynthDefs, etc, and found on github.

How may I install this?

Hi. I’m looking to do the same. I’m really new to the tech side of all of this so maybe we can help each other?

I am thinking of installing this version: PitchGlitch / FoxDot_PitchGlitch · GitLab

It seems to be an expansion on this: CrashServer/FoxDot: Python driven environment for Live Coding (github.com)

But I wasn’t sure if it was a good idea to just duplicate everything because I don’t really understand python or git very well so I’m doing some reading.

Feel free to let me know how you upgrade and whether you use one of these.

hi!

I finally got it to work!

The tutorial of “how to install” on the pitchglitch version is not clear on that, but you will want to remove any prior FoxDot install. This is not something you can update or upgrade with python/pip, so the old FoxDot will just sit there while you don’t play with it anymore.

Got it? Now you can git clone the pitchglitch wherever you want, place your command in this folder, and execute install.py with python. Normally, you’d need to associate a PATH to run it from any folder your cmd is. But I don’t know that, so I did it differently.

If you follow the supercollider install instructions in pitchglitch or the original FoxDot on Qirky’s github, you should be fine.

Now, how to start the pitchglitch? One more thing to do compared to Qirky’s FoxDot.

You have to install an extra python package called playsound, if it is not there, python will return an error upon opening FoxDot.

Something along the lines of pip3 install playsound.

When you do execute pitchglitch, the code is python -m FoxDot.

But if you want to run it automatically, without the tedious looking for the right folder, you can make a batch file.

it says:
cd your/path/to/FoxDot
python -m FoxDot

and voila you have something akin to an executable file for FoxDot. Double-click it and it’s there.

If anything’s unclear tell me.

This is very helpful! Thanks for taking the time it’s very much appreciated.

you will want to remove any prior FoxDot install.

Is this simply deleting or is there any uninstallation process I should go through?

place your command in this folder, and execute install.py with python

I don’t totally follow this either. I have been using anaconda / jupyter notebooks to study data science-type stuff, and I don’t really understand the command line, git or, well, any of the rest of it very well.

I started experimenting with FoxDot because I saw some scripts to sonify twitter data, and was thinking of using sonification to add some dimensions to a research project on child hunger in schools I’ve been wanting to do for a while.

I’ve now fallen in love with this way of making music. I was always too clumsy to play an instrument well. But I absolutely love experimental music, and exploring foxdot has really reminded me how much I loved just improvising on the piano. To me, this feels like some sort of musical pottery wheel.

Also… if anyone reading this would like to connect and work on some strange sonic experiments, please do get in touch.

you can use pip to uninstall link to procedure

Also you can just leave it there, just you won’t be using it once the pitchglitch one is installed.

To make it simple, just choose any folder on your computer, and you can execute

git clone https://gitlab.com/iShapeNoise/FoxDot.git
cd FoxDot
python3 setup.py install

The reason for that is, the author of pitchglitch can’t support a pip install just yet.
I think you’ll need to have git installed on your computer.

If you want to connect with others for shared jams, it is possible using the software Troop.

1 Like

Thanks again! I’m going to give all of this a shot. Again, very much appreciated!