Introductions - please say hello!

Hello!

I’m Rich, I live in Preston, UK. I happened to live in Sheffield >10 years ago (Anyone who was round back then might know where I stole my username from); though I wasn’t really involved in music or coding back then.

Musically I’ve played in bands etc for a while, mostly punk/DIY type stuff. I’ve somehow ended up being a business analyst, so I can code a bit, and hitting my 30s means I’m at home of an evening much more!

Tidal loops is what I’m starting to get into, I’m still at a tiny level but I’m learning (hopefully). Very interested in getting up to a performance level of competence; as it stands a few mates run electronic nights in town. Also interested in how tidal works in a band environment, if anyone has any experience!

1 Like

Btw!
Any groups/places (fb , chats etc) for London based people?
Thanks

Hello,

I’m Dan. I just started using Foxdot and I’m so happy that I have found this amazing software! It is exactly what I’ve been imagining after all these years making music also foxdot is perfect as I am learning to code using Python. Oh yeah, I am based out of Jacksonville,Florida.

Thank you

hello
I’m evan hartzell
been getting into orca and linux
los angeles, calif.
me and laura alvarez are an art group called k-blamo
www.sidromusic.net

1 Like

Hello all. i am shoummo from Bangladesh. i produce ambient micro stuff and a computer tinkerer .I got to know about this channel while looking for more information on ORCA since i have recently trying to figure out live coding. i use ableton and have a few drum machine and a emu emax.I run free workshops for people who are interested in the world of generative .Installations and all those things .Nice to meet you people.

3 Likes

Hello everyone!
We are introducing ourselves within several topics, chats, etc., so apologies in advance if you read this again :slight_smile:

We are Christian Oyarzún and Alejandro Albornoz. We’ve just started a new node in Valdivia, Chile and we are going to start with meetings, workshops and gigs soon :slight_smile:

Here we are (mostly in Spanish but soon further translation to English):

https://toplapvaldivia.wixsite.com/website

Hiiii everyone my name is Sarah and my artist name is DJ_Dave

I’ve been live coding using Sonic Pi for around 2 years now and just played my first live show last weekend. I’m NYC based and would love to connect with some other live coders that are in the area so hmu!

4 Likes

Welcome @dj_dave ! I saw that go past on twitter looked like an amazing show!

Hi I’m Thomas. I am currently based in Germany and mostly tinker with bits and occasionally atoms.

1 Like

Hi There Everyone!

My name is Bruce Harms, been in the creative industry for about 15 years mostly as a graphic designer, photographer, html/css, wordpress and recently started a Coder Dojo. I was also a guitarist in Orange Grove for a while and am very familiar with Pro Tools/Logic. I stumbled on SonicPi and been obsessed with it.

SonicPi does not seem popular in this forum but I am very interested in introducing live-coding to my small island of Aruba!

hi Bruce,

If you want to discuss Sonic Pi related stuff, this is the most used forum for it → https://in-thread.sonic-pi.net/

Cheers!

Dago

Hi everyone,

I’m Isil (Short for Isilindil).
I currently live in Lille, France but i’m from Belgium.
I discovered live coding and algorave recently (around 1 year ago).
I tried tidal cycles, foxdot and I’m currently trying sonic pi. I haven’t found the one i prefer yet.

I have no background in music (never learn an instrument), but I work in bioinformatics, and I like to code and I really like electronic music.

:star_struck:
Isil

1 Like

Hi, I’m Ben (blinz here), may go by Plexiclass too, we’ll see :slight_smile:

Not particularly a musician. Not particularly a coder. Have long appreciated both fields. Discovered Live coding/algorave perhaps 10 years ago. My jaw dropped…instantly got it…loved it. Somehow forgot about it for many years…rediscovered it perhaps 5 months ago and I’m starting to get in pretty deep. Working with Sonic Pi right now. Have a hundred questions and a hundred ideas. Looking to make friends, become part of the community, discover and celebrate what people are doing with it, and contribute in my own way.

Hope to meet many of you. If you have a passion for this and want to chat or email sometime, I would love that !!! Here or my email: blinzme1@gmail.com

Greeting, everyone!
My name is Francisco. I’m a psychologist, programming student and amateur musician from Chile.

I’ve recently discovered the amazing world of live coding, and I’m so glad to have found this forum. I hope I can learn how to live coding properly and then make my own compositions.

As a musician, you can follow me on:

Instagram
SoundCloud

Best regards,
Francisco, alias c4ntaro_sinf0nico.

Hi Everyone!

I’m Daniel :slight_smile:
My interests include coding, audio synthesis, electronics and many others.

I’ve created a new synthesis based live coding language called Syntə which I will introduce in its own thread. However, you can view a short introduction here: Synte Language introduction - YouTube

Hoping to make the most of the post-pandemic world and have joined this forum to keep up-to-date with performances, algoraves, workshops, talks etc. that I might be able to attend!

My favourite author is Jason Hickel :heart:
Based in London and sometimes Sheffield
Feel free to get in touch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I’m Adam Good, in Pittsboro, NC (USA), near Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham

Absolutely loving TidalCycles and it’s really jiving with how I like to stumble my way into strange patterns and rhythms, super intuitive and fun.

Made my first sketch video and hoping to make more!

Looking to jam with folks online (or locally!)

I also create indie tabletop roleplaying game stuff at 72stations.com

cheers!
adam

adam

Hi there!
My name is Arnaldo and I leave in a small town in the South of Brazil (Laguna-SC).
I play musical instruments since I was a child. I became biologist and finished my PhD in Oceanography. While concluding my thesis Inhave developed a software which converts colors of scientific data into sounds (datasounds.org).
I am an enthusiastic pythonista, and using FoxDot to perform live coding performances.

Hi,

having another go at getting into live coding!
software developer by trade and contributor to open source projects.
also, amateur musician with synths.
trying (again) to combine these passions :slight_smile:

Hi Technobear!

I’ve read a lot of your responses on the Axoloti platform community!
You are a superb valid member there.
Welcome into our live coding community.

Looking forward to your interactions.

Cheers!

1 Like

hi, thanks for the kind words…

Im here trying to formulate a plan :slight_smile:

I want to use Supercollider as a backend (scsynth) on a ‘remote server’
but Im not so sure about using sclang as a frontend.

I know there are things like foxdot, sonicpi, tidalcycles…
but I some of these don’t appear to really support ‘remote servers’, or they require that extra software is installed on the server side… which Id prefer not to do.
(Id like to keep the scsynth side simple)

not sure, if this exists, or if I should
a) just use sclang
Im ok with things like pdef,ndef but there feel a bit terse for live coding
also feels like Id need to build up a bit of a foundation/framework
b) create my own front end environment
that just talks directly to scsynth

I guess this approach has the advantage, I will learn the environment as I build it.
but does feel like its likely to be re-inventing the wheel!

anyway so still very much open to using something ‘off the shelf’.
so really came here to see what others have done… would suggest :slight_smile: