Syncing multiplayer

Hi all, following up the issue from the old mailing list, we have managed to sync 2 computers so far.

We are using Tidal 1.0.9 and PTPD, connected via Ethernet interfaces.

PTPD seems to connect properly with all three selecting best master automatically using the flags as follows “ptpd2 -m -C -i en1” alas only two are talking to each other.

best,
K.

Hi, when you say ‘only two are talking to each other’, do you mean in terms of ptpd, or on the tidal side?

Is it always the same two that work, and one that doesn’t? If so, that’d suggest some configuration or firewall problem on the non-working one. Use wireshark on the computer running the master tidal clock to observe whether it receives OSC messages from both of the other ones.

that’d suggest some configuration or firewall problem on the non-working one

We checked all these security issues already.

Use wireshark on the computer running the master tidal clock to observe whether it receives OSC messages from both of the other ones.

Maybe I shall try to send OSC fro SC or something simple to establish that are connected and nothing is blocking them.

do you mean in terms of ptpd, or on the tidal side?

Yes, ptpd seems to receive updates from the master clock computer to all, but no setcps change when trying from master, but only for two.

K.

One thing, from the top of my head, all slaved should have the master’s IP in tidal Boot file right? not serial or something like that?

One IP address for two slaves I reckon.

Yes you nominate one computer to be the master tidal clock, and set the other two to get the clock using the master’s IP address.

Yes, this is correct, with this I reckon there is no problem, ptpd2 -m -C -i en1 or whatever interface available. Now I got to think about the security issues, and came across this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/14tm007b6znxpgu/Screenshot%202019-03-22%2012.48.11.png?dl=0

It says allow these apps to control your computer, will check Atom, SC is ticked otherwise there is nothing to check on the firewall side.

Just to update you, we still stuck with one computer being idle in a local net, wireless and ethernet plugged tested.

I managed to send OSC messages from one of the computers to the problematic one which it received successfully.

The ptpd in all machines seem to sync correctly in all computers running ptpd2 -m -C -i en1

The synced ones are even mismatched OS master runs on Mojave the other one on Mavericks, and the third which is not listening is on Sierra I think. I also double checked the config file of all and made sure interfaces and modes (masterslave, slaveonly) etc. are appropriate across all computers before firing up ptpd, but I reckon this is surpassed upon initialization with different flags.

One thing I am not sure is that although sometimes ptpd is deactivated in one of the paired (synced/working) computers I can still change the setcps value and sync them together with no error. That made me think shouldn’t be there some info wether ptpd is used instead of native clock, there is no sign that Tidal is listening to it, is there a command to run ptpd2 -> true for example.

Also, nudgeAll is not working, some example using it would be helpful.

I hope this info is helpful to future readers and looking forward to find a solution.

best,

K.