What are your most commonly used functions?

After spending some time developing a code template that can support - in a well-defined logic - any additional features, I noticed that I kept referring to a certain group of time, density and structure altering functions.

I decided to create a code template in order to rapidly build-up to interesting results, without too many residual effects. In this way, I can swap whichever operator I want, whilst calling other functions and setting new samples without too much hassle.

So, here’s the list of my most commonly used core functions:

nudge ; 
spaceOut ; 
struct ; 
mask ;  
sew ; 
interlace ;  
overlay ;  
append ;
shape ; 
run ;  
scan ;  
fast ; 
slow ;
degradeBy ; 
off ;
spread;
spreadr;
1 Like

I frequent
linger
cut
arp
shape
but I think slice is criminally underrated
It’s like striate, but you get control of what chunk plays where, and that’s really powerful for making new sounds

It’s also interesting to see that apart from fast and shape, I don’t use any of your functions

Hmmmm…

stack
stutWith
cut
degradeBy / sometimesBy
choose
<~
~>
rand
1 Like

I already mentioned slice

cut makes sure long samples don’t become a mess,
linger is good for breaks. Things get interesting when you input a pattern instead of just a value
for arp I just plug in a bunch of random chords and hope it sounds good, and it usually does.
also sounds great sped up

STACK STACK STACK

wchoose
legato
superimpose
slow + striate

1 Like

stack, stut’, palindrome, reverse, shape (shape 0.9 really gets my 909 kicks thumping), fast/slow (two heads of the same coin), and room/size. I actually prefer stut’ over the delays, probably because it’s much cleaner and faster to use.

I have a short list of custom functions I use to control my Supercollider synths (don’t use any stock Superdirt sounds, just a bunch of drum machine percussion and a few synthdefs I wrote), as well as stealing kindohm’s idea for an inverse function.