Introductions - please say hello!

¡Hola! Hi! I’m Marianne Teixido. I live in Mexico City.
Currently I collaborate with the RGGTRN [Luis Navarro, Jessica Rodriguez, Emilio Ocelotl and me].
This year Emilio and I started “PiranhaLab”. piranhalab.github.io is a laboratory of creation, spread and teaching of software in Latin America focused on the practice of live coding. We are interested in promoting libreries, apps and software through workshops, algoraves, talks and sessions.
Personally, I am interested in researching about gender issues, software and live coding from an intersectional perspective.

3 Likes

Hi, I am Jukka (whole name Jukka-Pekka Kervinen), from Finland, a composer/writer/visual artists, doing livecoding with ChucK, Sonic Pi, Petal, ixi, etc. I am retired, kind of, not in day job anymore, doing only music (+writings/visual arts), all related to algorithmic processes I have been working from mid-80’s. Former teacher in University of Helsinki, kind of new in live coding though I have been using ChucK for years, but made my first livecode performance in Toplap15. I perform regularly around, anything from improvised, experimental music, techno gigs in clubs, chipmusic with various consoles (all self-programmed). Next going to Leipzig/Berlin/Hamburg in April, and looking for algoraves/live coding gigs from England, going there around July/August. Living in a small village in Eastern Finland, with my wife and 100’s of cats (well, 4), kids already adults, and I am rather fresh grandpa (less than year).

Hi everyone! My name is Timo Hoogland, based in Utrecht (Netherlands). I am a creative (live)-coder, educator in creative coding at the bachelor Music Technology (HKU University or Arts Utrecht) and almost finished with the masters program Master of Music Design at the same University. I try to perform as much as possible, and I have co-organized some livecoding events and algoraves with Creative Coding Utrecht/Amsterdam and together with Netherlands Coding Live we organize monthly meetups to discuss/explore livecoding and other related topics.

Hi my name is Cian O’Connor and I currently use SuperCollider for electronic music. Always flirted with livecoding without full commitment.

Currently building a library in Elixir (an Erlang derivative) to facilitate livecoding as I think it has some really compelling features for livecoding and music generally.

Hello I’m Danielle, solo performance name {arsonist}. I’m a computational neuroscience PhD candidate by day. I’ve been using Tidal to perform for a bit under a year now, and I often combine it with more composed audio in Ableton Live and violin work. I very recently started dabbling in algorithmic visuals in OpenFrameworks.

I’m located in Pittsburgh, where I help @spednar run the live music consortium Cosmic Sound. Cosmic Sound organizes shows for any kind of experimental music, with a particular focus on A/V events of high technical production value. We also recently invested in an 8-channel sound system and are hoping to feature an increasing number of multi-channel audio performances. We do often feature algorithmic and live coding artists in these events.

As @spednar mentioned, Pittsburgh also has a Live Coding meetup. And I’ve personally had the pleasure of teaching a TidalCycles community workshop sponsored the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh and gfx, a local group which promotes the involvement of women and non-binary individuals in all aspects of the music scene.

2 Likes

Hello world! I’m Gustavo (a.k.a. beise), hailing from Belo Horizonte, Brazil. I’m a software developer by trade and musician by hobby that has found roughly two years ago an amazing intersection between those interests through livecoding with SuperCollider and TidalCycles.

I’m currently very interested in exploring the boundaries between verbal language, generative art and infinite internet content, always keeping my ultradecadent tropical enviroment in mind.

hi, I’m Bz (Radical Ed), i’m from Italy;

i’m a composer and i love to create sounds; i love SuperCollider and I’m new to the world of Live Coding; i’m learning, i’m studying Howto_co34pt_LiveCode

i’m also a artist, a mashupper, a composer audio/video, i create music and above the music, I create artistic videomusic mash up themed;

1 Like

I’m Anny from Nottingham UK. I haven’t made music for a while, but when I did, I did it with Tidal. I keep telling myself I’ll get back into it, but I’m having difficult second album syndrome.

I still participate in the live coding community though because y’all cool cats who make good tunes and talk about interesting stuff, even if I don’t understand any of the more academic stuff. I’m just a web developer, man.

I’m also profoundly deaf, but I’ve discussed that at length elsewhere enough times!

Keep on codin’

4 Likes

Hey,
I’m Dsm0, from MN.
I’m trying to learn Haskell in conjunction with Tidalcycles, been doing it for half a year now.
I’m going to carnegie mellon for their music and technology program.

I’m also a drummer, as well as a splice enthusiast.

Hi! I’m Florencia Alonso (Flor de Fuego) I’m from La Plata, Buenos Aires Argentina and I belong to CliC also I’m in a duo with Rapo named c0d3 p03try and a group of girls live coders called Null. I’m an art professor, I studied drawing in a traditional way but I’m very interested and researching about the digital world. Last year I started using Hydra for visual sets I’m also VJ and I’m learining about Tidal Cycles I found both softwares really interesting to produce audiovisual live performance. I’m interested in other softwares but I’m not a programmer so I had to learn two languages up to now hahaha
Besides I really like this community I found interesting the dynamics for learning and discussing stuff…sorry If my english it’s not so good

<3

2 Likes

Hi! I’m Jack, a computer graphics masters student and software developer based in Wellington, New Zealand.

I come from a creative coding / computer graphics background but I got into live coding through my research which explores how live coding and VJing practice can be combined. As part of this I have been developing Visor, a Ruby based live coding environment for Processing. In particular I’m interested in the usability of live coding environments and how graphical user interfaces or hardware controllers can be used to enable more expressive live coding performance. I’m also generally interested in the broader topics including real-time computer graphics, creative coding, live coding, HCI, and UX.

As the algorave scene isn’t so big in Wellington, when it comes to performance I generally work alongside VJs and perform visuals for DJs and musicians at gigs or raves. I also hang out with a local art hacking collective that holds regular meetups that often involve improvised electronic music and visual performance. We also run exhibitions and performances from time to time.

4 Likes

Hello all! My name is Bob, and I teach middle school computer science in Charleston, South Carolina in the US. Part of my 8th grade curriculum includes creative computing, and I use Sonic Pi as the musical vehicle. I love code and music!

2 Likes

Hey there,
I’m Alp Tuğan from Istanbul, Turkey. I’m teaching creative coding and sound design courses at Özyeğin University as parttime instructor. In a nutshell, I’m mostly into creative coding and like to create algorithmic audiovisual works. Also, I’m coding as duo in a band called RAW. We are using SuperCollider, Tidal and sometimes Sonic Pi to make music on stage and doing visuals with openFrameworks based application that we’ve been still developing.
github/alptugan
alptugan.com

4 Likes

Hola,

i’m Niklas, currently based in Barcelona, where I found a home in the local Toplap node.
I make music software, both for a living as well as in my free time (Sounds horrible, doesn’t it ?).
I first came into contact with live coding when studying at HfM Karlsruhe, and since then never managed to shake it off.
I’m working on a stochastic music system called Mégra (https://github.com/the-drunk-coder/megra) that does things with markov chains. Also I like live coding on multichannel setups.

3 Likes

{“format”:“D:6 0 0”,“end”:1551315600,“color”:4,“start”:1548637200,“notes”:"",“title”:“C6 TidalCycles”,“range”:“28/01/2019 – 28/02/2019”,“v”:“1.1”,“tags”:[“axaud”,“live coding”,“TidalCycles”,“chain 6”],“url”:“hello!”}

1 Like

I’m Arin, I’ve mostly an at-home tinkerer trying to make music as a hobby. I started livecoding as a way to explore new musical ideas,after seeing it on Youtube, and being inspired to try to create generative music in Renoise. That was three years ago.

1 Like

I’m James. I’m in New Zealand. I’ve been live patching euroracks, and livecoding sorting algorithms.

3 Likes

Hi all !
I’m Dago. I live and work in Antwerp, Belgium. I’m a musician basically, and a part-time tech support for synthesizer builders, and have been organizing Algoraves for some time now. There’s a new creative/hacker space in Antwerp, Onderstroom, where some friends and I, are planning to have a monthly Algorave, starting next month.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Erik. I live in Winona Minnesota and make algorithmic music with python as He Can Jog. The python library is called Pippi, and its interactive component (which does automated module reloading when registered instrument scripts are edited) is called Astrid. I also run a little netlabel called LuvSound and sometimes organize a here-and-there concert series called Audible Electricity.

1 Like

Hey !

I’m Nil, have been writing and producing computer music for many years but just got bitten by the live-coding bug : proper game-changer here (for the best hehe).

I happen to teach electronic music composition and production for a living here in Loyn, France. I share my knowledge all day long, so I genuinely appreciate how you guys do the same here.

TidalCycles has become my writing tool, I’m basically using it to control a couple of softsynths hosted by Ableton Live.

Aside from teaching all day long, I’m in the process to write a slew of new tunes using TC, to play tons of gigs with them and then to release the best bits. Think something halfway between what you’d hear in a club and what you’d hear in a museum, relying a lot on FM synthesis. Hopefully :wink:

2 Likes