Introductions - please say hello!

Hi!! I’m Victor, I’m based in Palma, Mallorca; I’m interested in organizing SC and Tidal workshops, just working in the first edition of a digital art fest in Palma;
Nice to be here with you, sharing and learning :wink: !!!

2 Likes

Hello! I’m Thaega, I live in Lyon, France, and I’m a PhD student in computer science/applied mathematics. I’ve been making music with Tidal for about a year now (the homepage for my music is here).

Hello y’all! I’m Marco, I live in Savannah, Georgia USA after over a decade in China.

I’ve been exploring creative coding for about a year. Excited to learn from the community here and share with folks in my city.

Hi. I’m Sam. My interest in live coding stems from a wider interest in generative music composition and the opportunities that this workflow brings. It also seems like a great way to learn to code better, which is one of my current goals. I’m a sound designer and composer and I hope to be able to call myself a coder sooner rather than later.

Hi I’m Jack. I’ve been trying to get my head around Tidal since 2012.

I’m doing a PhD about musical instruments and currently I live code as Lil Data and have a band called Offer.

I have done non-live coding visual work in the past but I recently started doing visuals with Hydra and am desperately trying not to launch the moniker Lil Data Viz.

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Zach! I just learned of this forum. I use he/him pronouns. I am a graduate student at Parsons School of Design (NYC) in the Design + Technology department. I’m still trying to figure out what my live-coding practice is but I am interested in visuals and music. :robot: :sparkles:

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Alison, you can also call me Merri. I’m into live coding since 3 years, I study electronics.

I have an experimental netlabel called Hàltràny Industries around queer artists :rainbow_flag:, I do music under the name Merristasis (previously Ezra), I also founded the French TOPLAP node TOPLAP France.

I use SuperCollider, Tidal Cycles, ixilang and Hydra, I’m also trying to learn shaders.

Happy to be here! :notes:

4 Likes

Hello! I’m Chris, I’m a developer and artist based in WNY.

I work primarily with Unity for my day job, but tend more to enjoy coding with lower level (C/C++) and experimental stuff on Linux. I’ve also done plenty of playing around with various livecoding languages but never anything too serious. Stumbled across TOPLAP and the whole algorave scene just yesterday while looking around for some new VJ software to learn for a chiptune show coming up here in a month. Excited to be here!

4 Likes

This is a near-perfectly Minnesota answer to this question. It would just be better if you ended it with “Go Vikings!”

1 Like

You bet. And my favorite food is green bean hot dish.

1 Like

Hello, I’m Fiacre and I currently work as a metadata and systems librarian in North Vancouver.

I first discovered live coding when I attended ICLC in Hamilton, Ontario in 2016. Thanks to that inspirational event, I went on to teach live coding to teens at public libraries in Ontario as part of a project I created called Code X Art and later with the Brookfield Institute for Innovation + Entrepreneurship (Ryerson University, Toronto). I’ve added an image of a class at Burlington Public Library below.

Not a particularly great live coder myself, but always working to get better!

4 Likes

Hi! My name is David. I live in the US in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I make music, mostly electronic. I publish it under the name “xinniw”. I write code and design software by day and spend as much of the remaining time as possible making art. Have been using code for generative music for some time but I’m relatively new to livecoding. I mostly play with tidalcycles. I love this community and hope to get more folks in SE michigan in livecoding and algorave!

2 Likes

My name is Jeff, and I’m currently a mobile developer in Toronto. I began coding on the side a few years back, mostly out of an interest in making generative music. I’ve messed around a fair bit over the years making music in pd, ChucK, Processing, SuperCollider, and NetLogo. I’ve also made some (free/freeish) generative/tranformational music apps in iOS like Concentric Rhythm. I’m new to live coding, currently learning Haskell, and spending a lot time lately enjoying Tidal Cycles.

2 Likes

Hi folks,
I’m Andrea and I recently start coding in Sonic Pi and Orca.
I build drone boxes and other stuff using the name Peal and I was running Kinetik Laboratories since last year. I play mainly my diy machines. I’m from Italy.

2 Likes

Hi! I’m Yancy, I’m from the Seattle area & I’ve been creative coding for the past several years, with increasingly more and more of that with live coding tools. I split my free time between Processing, Tidal, Hydra, & Orca. I’m fascinated at how quickly complex ideas can be explored through the right interface. I believe that creativity is often combinatorial, and these tools help express these combinations.

Ciao a tutti, Giampaolo here! I’m from Rome, Italy. I’ve been programming computers since I was 7 and being fascinated with sound-making things since I was 10. I’m still trying to combine the two.

Hi, I am Martin from Germany, live coding with Sonic Pi. I am also teaching how to use Sonic Pi at the Leuphana University during the winter term. As a former Jazz player (when I was young I played the guitar) I am especially inspired by the improvisational aspect of live coding music.

Aiya! I’m Mark - long time listener, first time poster x-P

I’m formerly a violinist from Liverpool, living in Leeds. I studied in Manchester, moved back to Liverpool then later taught violin at Uni of Liverpool, played in plenty of orchestras, etc etc. I needed to do more, so am currently finishing my PhD in Leeds (thesis writing is its own special hell - nobody warned me! >.< ).

Algorave is something I am naturally drawn to - though I’ve not made many live gigs (work, study, dates always falling on the wrong weekend, like the mid-May thing recently in Sheffield - one day… ONE DAY!! x-P ) I’ve coded most of my life, and have worked in tech in some way for most of it as well. Electronics is something else I know a bit about - it comes up in my not-PhD day job (IoT pentesting/cybersec research) and my hobbies. I’m a director at Leeds Hackspace and I run BSides Leeds as well… you can probably work out everything else from just these two facts :wink:

Very nice to meet you all :smiley: M.

3 Likes

Hi, I am Seb(ZBDM) from Strasbourg (France). I practice livcoding for over a year. I am not a programmer but rather a musician / handyman. I play in a duo with a another Seb(SVDK) named CrashServer where we mainly use FoxDot and Supercollider as well as vvvv for the visual aspect. We also do weekly workshops with LiveCodingStrasbourg and are excited to be part of this community.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Steve, DJ and music coder from the UK. Not had the nerve to live code just yet!

1 Like